Everywhere you find a recreational or therapeutic facility around a water body, you will most definitely spot a lifeguard within watching distance. They are there to keep you and your loved ones safe and secure. They play an important role in ensuring that everyone is watched and covered. They enforce rules and protocols in swimming facilities, water parks, and water bodies like lakes, rivers, and beaches. Here is everything you need to know about advancing your lifeguard course in Perth to become a certified lifeguard trainer.
Requirements for lifeguard course Perth for certified lifeguard trainer
- It would be best if you were above the age of 16 years or more.
- You must be a good swimmer. Strong and agile so that you can jump and dive into deep water. You must be comfortable in and around the water bodies.
- You should be able to swim 50 meters which is almost twice the length of an average pool, in 60 seconds. This isn’t too challenging for an average swimmer.
- You should be able to swim 100 meters continuously on the front and back in deep water. It can be at your own pace. This will show how comfortable you are in the water.
- You should be able to tread water for 30 consecutive seconds.
- You should be able to surface dive to the bottom of the pool. Such requirements can vary from course to course. Different institutes have different requirements.
- You should know how to climb out of the pool with ease and without any help.
- However, it is recommended to join swimming training if you haven’t swum in a long time.
The following four steps will help you become a lifeguard
Developing or improving your swimming skills
As a lifeguard, you must have strong swimming skills and the physical capacity to carry a load while swimming to some distance. You should think about joining a swim team to keep up the practice and improve your skills. Join a gym or swimming facility in case you don’t have access to a pool at your home. You need to develop strong swimming skills.
During the lifeguard course Perth, they will ask you to demonstrate your swimming skills and physical capacity before hiring you as a lifeguard.
Complete your lifeguard course Perth and have yourself certified
Many institutes like The American Red Cross provide Lifeguard training. You need to enroll yourself in a suitable lifeguard training program. You can do that through their website or by inquiring on call. You also need to get yourself certified in First Aid and CPR. You can easily find such training courses at the same institute. Beyond training and certifications, there is no formal education requirement for lifeguards.
Apply for lifeguard jobs and final interviews
Different jobs require different skill sets. You must ensure your training programs cover all aspects of the job you are planning to apply for. The last step to this is the interview. Once you have cleared the interview, the job is yours to take.
Different people pursue this position for different reasons. It is a difficult job that requires a lot of concentration and effort. You must know for sure that this is the job you want. You need to understand why you want this job before you start working and setting goals and expectations.