October 11, 2019 Uncategorized
This is a fun general knowledge quiz on the operations of an automated external defibrillator.
Please enter your email:
1. What should you check before delivering a shock to a victim?
No one should be touching the victim when the shock is delivered
2. Defibrillators should come with a small towel, what is this used for?
The victim’s chest should be dry to ensure the electrical shock is not conducted through the water
3. An AED will deliver a shock if a victim is ‘alive’ or has a normal heartbeat
AEDs will only deliver a shock if the victim is in cardiac arrest and it is suitable for a shock to be delivered
4. You cannot use a defibrillator if a casualty has a pacemaker fitted
You cannot use a defibrillator if a casualty has a pacemaker fitted
You can use a defibrillator on a victim with a pacemaker. Ensure the defibrillator pads are not placed directly over the pacemaker.
5. If you are a lone rescuer, using an AED takes priority over performing CPR
If alone and you have access to a defibrillator then immediately setup the AED and follow the voice prompts
6. You should not use a defibrillator if there is a risk of igniting flammable gases
You should not use a defibrillator if there is a risk of igniting flammable gases
There is a small risk of a spark from the electrical shock delivered by an AED
7. You can use an automated external defibrillator if a victim is on a metal surface
You can use an automated external defibrillator if a victim is on a metal surface
An AED is safe to use if the victim is on a metal surface
8. The defibrillator pads used to deliver the electrical shock to the heart can be placed on or over patients clothing
The pads need to be placed in direct contact with the skin
9. What are the four links in the Chain of Survival?
The Chain of Survival describes four things that significantly improve the chances of survival from a cardiac arrest
10. How does a defibrillator work?
Delivers an electrical shock to the heart to clear excessive electrical activity and allow the heart to regain its normal rhythm
Do Not Resuscitate tattoos – What would you do?
November, 9 2019
October, 12 2019
Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning
May, 23 2019
Summer the Season for Child Drowning